Thursday, January 7, 2010

Spreading the Word

With a new book on the horizon, I'm on the look out for ways to let the public know about it. A writer has to take a pro-active role in helping the publisher's sales and marketing team spread the word.

Yesterday, I was interviewed for a short segment on local television. The cameraman/interviewer was a pleasant young man enrolled in the television program at the local college. His story was about the film-making industry that is part of the history of the town of Trenton where I live. I was being interviewed because I wrote a non-fiction book on the subject, The Movie Years, back in 1989.

I was pleased when my interviewer asked me to talk a little about myself and my other books. This gave me the opening I needed. I told the television audience that for the last 20 years I've written almost exclusively for children. In fact, my ninth novel for young readers, Growing Up Ivy, will be released in June, 2010.

There was a time when I might have considered such a statement to be shameless self-promotion. Not any longer. Today I know that a writer has to use every available opportunity to get the word out.

Till next time!

Peggy

1 comment:

Willow said...

And that WAS a good opportunity, one you created yourself through a previous book--kudos!