Sunday, April 19, 2009

Writer's Block

I think we all have our own ways of dealing with writer's block--those dry periods when we wonder if we'll ever again be able to write anything worthy of publication. I wholeheartedly subscribe to the tips for handling writer's block that Anne Lamott gives us in Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life--one of the best books for writers that I have ever read.

Lamott suggests:
  • Write small pieces (even one paragraph, she says, but finish it. Don't be overwhelmed by it.)
  • Be good to yourself.
  • Read (of course. Relax and enjoy).
  • Live as if you were dying; live every moment.
  • Write down your memories about your family.
I like the idea of being good to oneself. The more I fret about how the writing is not working, the more frustrated I become. So, be good to yourself. Show up, write what you can and then go do something else. Know that there are better days ahead.

Until then,
Peggy.

No comments: