Saturday, December 6, 2008

Publicity

The first copies of my new book have arrived. I've been busy ever since. On Monday I faxed and emailed press releases about my new creation to all the local newspapers, providing them with enough material to write a brief story, even if they don't contact me for an interview.

For two days I was on the road visiting bookstores in the area, covering over 300 kms. in order to show the book and make sure the buyers had the flier with the ordering information. With only three weeks till Christmas, I'm trying to create some buzz for the book.

The publisher also sent me a very attractive e-advertisement to use as an attachment when I email friends, family and anyone else who ever showed interest in my writing. At the end of the week I used the e-ad as a reminder to the bookstore owners I'd visited earlier.

Promotion is, for me, the hardest part of producing a book. It takes careful planning and then plenty of legwork. But in these days of dwindling resources, publicity departments have all but disappeared. An author has to be prepared to do whatever it takes to get the word out. This is no time to be modest. There's a bookmark in every Christmas card I send out this year.

Till next time.

Peggy

No comments: